In this course, attendees will learn how to develop and customize embedded Linux systems with OpenEmbedded/Yocto Project.
The following topics will be covered:
- Introduction to the Yocto Project architecture, components and tools.
- Organization of the source code and main commands.
- The Poky reference system and the build process.
- Compiling a minimal image and testing in QEMU.
- Build logs and the organization of the output directory.
- Integrating a BSP layer and compiling for an embedded platform.
- Introduction to recipes and the BitBake tool.
- Creating and extending layers.
- Creating and extending recipes.
- Customizing the final image by adding new packages, adding configuration files and binary files, changing users and groups, file permissions and directories.
- Extending an existing BSP, adding a new machine configuration, changing the kernel configuration and applying patches.
- Generating the Extensible SDK for application development.
- Tools and resources available for the developer (Toaster, Build appliance, autobuilder, Shared State, Build History, etc).
- Software licenses compliance.
- Books, references and additional resources.
Some pictures of training sessions already presented are available here.
Students, engineers and software developers of embedded systems projects.
Basic knowledge of GNU/Linux command-line tools, the architecture of embedded Linux systems, C language, and the usage of toolchain and compilation tools (GCC, make, autotools, etc).
All required development tools and equipment will be provided by Embedded Labworks.
The course material contains the slides of the presentations, book of activities and exercises, reference guides, and additional reference documents. All materials will be provided in an electronic format at the start of the training session.
The training exercises will be performed on the Colibri i.MX6 Toradex module with the Aster carrier board and an expansion board with a lot of peripherals, including leds, buttons, buzzer, UART, light dependent resistor, 7 segment display, GPIO expander and accelerometer.
The open training sessions are presented in a pleasant environment, with a properly equipped laboratory and Internet access. Classes are usually presented full time, with a stop for lunch and a coffee break in the morning.
If you are interested in participating in the training but there is no open session available, please fill the pre-registration form clicking here. We will contact you as soon as a new training session is opened.
If you plan to train your team or a group of people, consider a training session in your company.
In-company classes have the same characteristics of an open training session. In this model, the company is responsible for providing the necessary resources needed for the training, including room, data projector and development machines. This model also brings big advantages for the company, since the cost of transportation and accommodation of several employees is reduced only to the instructor.
If your company has a special requirement, we can study a program that meets your needs in a specific way, like preparing the training material for a specific hardware platform or developing additional content. Do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail or leaving a message in the contact page.
Take the training to your city
You can take the training session to your community at any city in Brazil!
Can't afford to take the course in São Paulo? Do you have a study group and want to learn more about a specific technology? Do you coordinate or participate in the coordination of a course at your university and would like to train the teachers and students? Do you have a space and would like to get some friends together and spend enjoyable hours learning about embedded systems?
Send an e-mail or leave a message in the contact page. Send the name of the course you are interested and the city. If we can get together a group of interested people, we can bring the training to your city!